Saturday, 18th March 2006 by
Mulberry Harbours were the artificial harbours constructed by the Allies for the D-Day landings at Normandy. The concrete structures in the sea are the remains of Mulberry Harbour B which was at Gold Beach near Arromanches in France. Mulberry A was located at the infamous Omaha Beach but was mostly destroyed in a storm. The Mulberry Harbours were made up of large hollow concrete blocks that were simply floated across the channel and then sunk into place. With these harbours in place the Allies could un-load armour and supplies much faster than with conventional landing craft. The disastrous Dieppe raid of 1942 had driven the Allied planners to come up with this non conventional tactic that proved essential for the success of the D-Day landings.