Top 10 Rudest Place Names in Canada
Friday, 15th October 2010 by Chris Hannigan
O’ Canada, say it isn’t so! From the Northwest Territories all the way to Newfoundland, we’ve got a list of the top 10 rudest (or just plain funniest) real Canadian places you’ll ever see! It doesn’t matter if it’s a town, a lake, or even a street! It’s all good, naughty fun eh?
10. Stoner, British Columbia – Nope there are no munchies involved, this town was apparently named after nearby Stone Creek and not… well you know.
9. Come By Chance, Newfoundland – The site of this town was reportedly found by accident in the 17th century. I guess even back then people were finishing a little too early.
8. Blow Me Down, Newfoundland – According to legend, this site was named after a very short ship-captain who prayed that the fierce winds here would not “Blow-me-down”.
7. Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump, Alberta – A world heritage site, this buffalo jump really did “smash a head in”. Legend has it the poor recipient was a young, curious member of the Blackfoot Native American tribe.
6. Ragged Ass Road, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories – This road is so famous in Yellowknife that it even has its own Wikipedia page! According to Wiki, the street signs are constantly being stolen, which might explain why we couldn’t find one on street view. However, we did spot one hidden behind this homeowner’s garden!
5. Big Beaver, Saskatchewan – How could we not include somewhere referring to beavers? Especially big ones!
4. Crotch Lake, Ontario – Named by a naughty pilot, we have commissioned a top artist to create this awesome infographic to explain why.
3. Spread Eagle, Newfoundland – It has to do with the bird! Keep your thoughts on the bird! The bird!
1. Dildo, Newfoundland – No, I’m not making this up.